The word “laser” stands for “Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation”. A laser is a concentrated beam of light, created when an electric current passes through a special material. An Argon laser, one of our advanced technologies, uses argon gas and is composed of blue-green light within the visible light spectrum.
An Argon laser is a thermal laser in which the laser light is converted to heat when it reaches the eye. This heat may then be used in various manners to treat the eye, such as:
- Seal blood vessels (veins and arteries) that are bleeding or leaking fluids (e.g. diabetic macular edema, proliferative diabetic retinopathy, hypertensive macroaneurysm, exudative macular degeneration)
- Destroy abnormal tissue such as a tumor
- Bond the retina to the back of the eye (e.g. retinal tear or hole)
- Open the eye’s filtration system for glaucoma treatment (e.g. argon laser trabeculoplasty)
- Create an opening in the iris for treatment of narrow angle glaucoma (e.g. argon laser iridotomy)
Laser surgery of the eye has several advantages:
- There is no risk of infection from the laser light
- Laser surgery can be performed in an outpatient setting, allowing the patient to go home shortly after the procedure is finished
- The surgeon has great precision and control
Visit our cosmetic surgery / plastic surgery, and ophthalmology (eye care) offices located in Sun City, Wickenburg and Sun City West, Arizona (AZ). Our offices are conveniently located near the Phoenix and Glendale, AZ areas.