New Life Saving Technology
The Transcranial Doppler (TCD)
The Arizona Eye Institute & Cosmetic Laser Center has long emphasized preventative care and valued efforts to inform, empower and help patients attain their best quality of life. Today, thanks to a new partnership with HealthX MD, the 33-year practice offers new state of the art testing that can save patient lives.
The Transcranial Doppler (TCD) is an ultrasound test proven to help diagnose and manage patient care, particularly among patients at risk of stroke, cardiovascular disease and ocular conditions that can cause vision loss. The TCD is a 20-minute non-invasive and safe ultrasound test that looks at the major arteries and vessels in the brain and brain stem, allowing early detection of health concerns that need to be addressed including impending risk of stroke. The test is often authorized through insurance plans.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE?
TCD is safe and noninvasive procedure typically used for patients meeting medical necessity:
- TIA, CVA, and OVA
- Neurological vascular disorders
- Ophthalmic ischemia
- Ophthalmic occlusion
- Detection of intracranial arteriosclerosis
- Detection of embolization
- Glaucoma, especially normal-tension glaucoma
The testing is performed at our practice and can be included as part of a comprehensive medical vision exam. Patients with qualifying diagnoses will be tested for early diagnosis of eye disorders such as diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma or macular degeneration. The TCD can also measure the blood flow velocity and identify any risk of stroke, atrial fibrillation, or a cardiovascular event.
"This technology is an excellent new way to provide patients who may have multiple diagnoses with the vital information we can use to provide proactive and even life-saving treatment," said Medical Director Emilio M. Justo, M.D.
The new technology highlights the vital importance of regular comprehensive medical eye exams, not only for vision care, but for overall health care. Schedule your exam today and ask if you are a candidate for this new procedure.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- You will be seated in a comfortable chair. There is no need to remove jewelry or wear a gown.
- A small amount of water-soluble gel is applied to skin, that will not harm your skin or stain clothing it touches.
- A small transducer device is held in place on the skin until the blood flow information is captured.
- You will need to keep your head still during the test.
- We use only highly qualified and specially trained technologists, who send the reports to a board-certified neuroradiologist for review. Urgent results will return more quickly, but typically results are provided within a few days of the test.
COMMON SYMPTOMS OF STROKE RISK
Symptoms when taken together can be due to many things, and we always recommend seeing a professional if you do suffer from symptoms that can include:
- Migraine and Ocular Migraine
- Sudden Vision Loss
- Visual Field Defect
- Visual Field Disturbance
- History of Stroke/Mini-Stroke
- Blurred Vision
- Double Vision
- Normal Tension Glaucoma
- Cardiovascular System Complications
- Carotid Artery Disease
Are you due for a comprehensive medical eye exam? Call to schedule one today at (623) 876-2020.