Your Surgery: What to Expect
If your quality of vision is substantially affected by cataracts, and you are hesitant to consider surgery, consider this: advancements in cataract surgery have made this solution faster, more comfortable, and more effective than ever before.
The team at Arizona Eye Institute & Cosmetic Laser Center has unparalleled experience performing cataract surgery, and we implement state-of-the-art technologies that further boost our success rate.
During a consultation with our founder, Dr. Emilio Justo, you can learn more about the cataract surgery procedure. Our Phoenix practice features three locations, serving the communities of Sun City, Sun City West, Wickenburg, and surrounding areas. Reach out to us today to schedule an appointment.
Cataract Surgery: A Closer Look
Cataract surgery can be completed in under 15 minutes, and our fast focus surgery means nearly immediate visual enhancement is possible. No sutures or needles are used in this type of cataract surgery.
The procedure typically entails:
- Preparation: Eye drops are administered to dilate the pupils, and local anesthetic is used to numb the tissue in and around the eyes.
- Incision: A very small incision is made on the side of the cornea, allowing the insertion of a tiny probe.
- Breaking up the cataract: Using phacoemulsification, or gentle ulstrasound waves, the cataract is broken up into small pieces.
- Removal of the lens: The entire lens is suctioned through the probe and removed from the eye.
- Placement of an artificial lens: An intraocular lens (IOL) will replace the natural lens and aid in vision correction. Prior to your surgery, you and Dr. Justo will determine which kind of IOL is right for you.
Though a small number of patients may experience slight sensitivity after the operation, this usually resolves quickly. During preliminary visits, our patients are educated on aftercare so they can heal properly.
Real-time Accuracy Feedback
At Arizona Eye Institute & Cosmetic Laser Center, we utilize the most advanced technologies to improve precision, decrease discomfort, and enhance post-surgical results. One of the ways we achieve this goal is using the Optiwave Refractive Analysis (ORA) System™. Dr. Justo is one of the first ophthalmologists in the state to use the system, previously known as the OptiPlus system.
Without the assistance of this system, surgeons must wait weeks before they are able to accurately analyze the results of cataract surgery. Now, we are able to measure these results to an exacting degree during the procedure. This allows Dr. Justo to receive real-time feedback, and makes the procedure more effective than ever before. In addition, the ORA System™ can be used to assess the positioning of the implant after the operation.
Learn More about the Cataract Surgery Procedure
If you have been diagnosed with cataracts and are ready to consider surgery, choose a reputable, experienced surgeon you can trust. Dr. Justo has been practicing for more than two decades, and has the knowledge and skills needed to provide an optimal patient experience. Schedule an appointment with our practice today to learn more about the benefits of undergoing cataract surgery.